Sell My Car
Get More Cash When
You Sell a Car Yourself.
Reach millions of potential buyers on Autotrader and KBB.com.
Why Sell a Car on Autotrader?
The Largest Audience
Reach millions of active shoppers by listing your ad on Autotrader and KBB.com. You get double the exposure for the price. Plus, you get the trusted pricing guidance of Kelley Blue Book.
More Value for Your Money
Add up to 30 photos to show off every angle, and get FREE renewals every 30 days for up to a year. Pay once and watch it sell.
Free Vehicle History Report
Build buyers confidence with your vehicle's history. Vehicle history reports typically cost up to $35, but not when you list with us. It's included at no additional cost.
Finally, It's Easy to Sell a Used Car
We Are Here To Help
Fraud Watch department to help enhance your protection.
Vehicle History Reports to increase buyer confidence in your car.
Secure servers to protect your personal info including name, address or credit card number.
Free renewals for up to a year if your car doesn't sell in the first 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions About Selling a Car
How will buyers contact me about my car?
We provide a contact form for every ad. Potential buyers fill out the form, submit it and the information is automatically sent to the email address you specify. You remain anonymous - except for your first name + last initial - until you decide to make contact.
How will Autotrader protect my privacy?
Your privacy is important to us. Your phone number, email address, and any personal contact information that you provide are never visible on your ad. We also secure your personal information using industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption.
Will you help me price my car?
Yes. As you list your asking price, we will show you an estimated market value based on recent transaction prices for vehicles of the same year, make, model, and condition as the vehicle specified. This will help you list your vehicle at a fair price. We also display The Kelley Blue Book® Private Party Range on all private seller ads to help shoppers better understand vehicle pricing.
How to sell a car in four steps
The best way to sell your car quickly and easily so you’ll get the most cash is to sell it online using Autotrader.
- Organize your paperwork, thoroughly clean the vehicle and then determine your car’s value in order to price it accordingly.
- Write a detailed description of your car and take many good photos, both inside and outside of the car.
- When buyers start contacting you, you’ll need to be prepared to deal with questions about your car and requests for test drives.
- Once you have a qualified buyer lined up, come to an agreement on price, finalize the transaction while protecting yourself financially and legally and then transfer the title and ownership. Read more about how to make the best used car online ad.
What paperwork do I need to sell my car?
Regardless if your car is an exotic, an everyday driver or a junker, there are seven documents you’ll need to sell your used car privately:
- Vehicle History Report
- Maintenance records
- Transferrable warranty (if applicable)
- As-Is documentation
- Odometer mileage disclosure
- Vehicle title
- Bill of Sale
Read more about what paperwork you need to sell your car.
How do I transfer a car title and ownership after selling a car?
What are the most common scams you may encounter when selling your car yourself?
These are the most common scams fraudsters may try to use:
- Fake, forged or counterfeit cashier’s check, certified check, money order or wire
- Offers to pay by personal check
- Offering to buy the car sight-unseen
- The fake shipping scam: A potential buyer who insist on shipping a seller’s car internationally or across the country
- Distant buyers either overseas or on a “business trip”
- Offers to pay “asap” via Pay Pal, gift card, Cash.Me, Venmo or other online payment service
- Overpayment scam, which may sometimes include a third-party website or entity
- Payment plan
Read more about how to protect yourself from scams and frauds when selling a car.
What is the best way to create a compelling ad to sell your car?
To sell your car in the fastest way and to get paid the most money, you’ll want to make sure you write the best possible online ad using the following key points:
- Explain why you are selling the car
- Define the forms of payment you are willing to accept
- Disclose what vehicle paperwork or maintenance records you have
- Disclose any issues which need to be fixed
- List the car’s key and unique features
- Mention any added or custom modifications
- Take lots of clear high-quality photos, both close and wide shots
- Use proper punctuation and grammar
- Price your vehicle accurately using Autotrader’s car values tool.
Read more about how to make the best used car ad.